Stefanutti Stocks’ industry experience within the Geotechnical Discipline spans over two decades, during which we have delivered many technically challenging and pioneering piling and lateral support projects across South Africa and in sub-Saharan Africa.
The geotechnical services we offer our clients include the design and construction of various types of piles, geotechnical investigations and reports, lateral support, rock anchoring, shot-crete, specialist grouting and the installation of vertical drains.
We specialise in designing and constructing deep-level foundations and lateral support solutions in the most challenging geological environments. Our design and construct capability has made us an invaluable construction partner to our clients, as we are able to offer innovative and cost-effective design and construction solutions, that often result in time and cost saving for our clients.
excellence in execution
By providing the most suitable geotechnical solutions to our clients’ requirements we add great value to the construction project team. Furthermore, our flat management structure and hands-on management style contributes to our agility and ability to respond to on-site challenges with minimal delay to the programme.
We undertake contracts for clients across all sectors within which the Stefanutti Stocks group operates – including building, energy generation and industrial plants, mining houses, transport infrastructure (freeways, roads, bridges, rail infrastructure), as well as water infrastructure construction.
Geotechnical Discipline Capabilities
- geotechnical investigations and reports, including diamond core drilling, reverse circulation drilling, DPSH testing and auger trial holes,
- geo-thermal installations,
- piling in all soil conditions,
- design and construction of various types of piles,
- lateral support,
- rock anchoring,
- void fill,
- grouting – including specialist consolidation, compaction and dolomitic, and
- sinkhole remediation and repairs.
As a leading South African geotechnical contractor, we continue to pursue excellence in execution by putting our years of experience across multidisciplinary geotechnical capabilities and services to work to the benefits of our clients. More information on our journey can be viewed in our Milestones and Memory Lane articles
Our project portfolio includes many high-profile geotechnical contracts, successfully and safely completed to the satisfaction of our clients, and our goal remains to execute all our projects with excellence.
Pockets of Excellence
Energy Infrastructure: Stefanutti Stocks’ multidisciplinary nature and propensity for focusing on pre-planning supports our ability to deliver world-class energy infrastructure projects.
Some recently concluded projects:
- CFA piling at the Wilmar Processing Plant in Richards Bay, South Africa.
- Lateral support to the main box cut and to the silo feed joined by a culvert under the existing R580 road) for the Matla Mine Relocation Project in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa.
- Open hole auger piles at the new Steve Tshwete Hotel and Conference Centre in Middelburg, Mpumalanga.
- Continuous flight auger pile installation that forms part of the new infrastructure development at iThemba labs in Cape Town, Western Cape.
- Lateral support and temporary cast in-situ cased auger piles on the N2 in Durban, KwaZulu Natal.
- Open hole auger pile installation at the Amandelbult Platinum Mine in Thabazimbi, Limpopo.
- Piling for the new Mosi-oa-Tunya Hotel in Livingstone, Zambia.
- Piling for a new office block on Addis Ababa Road in Lusaka, Zambia.
- Geotechnical investigations for the upgrade of the road between Ha Mpiti and Sehlabathebe in Lesotho.
- Piling for Bridge 2 at the Manzini Golf Course interchange in Swaziland.
- Piling for the Swakopmund River Bridge as part of the upgrade of the railway line running between Walvis Bay and Kranzberg in Namibia.
State-of-the-Art Geotechnical Plant
We own a fleet of state-of-the-art geotechnical equipment that includes crawler mounted hydraulic piling rigs, percussion/rotary drill rigs and investigation/exploration rigs. Our fleet includes:
Eleven percussion/rotary drill rigs, ranging from 5 to 22 tons, for down the hole percussion and rotary drilling. These rigs are suitable for:
- slope stabilisation work
- dolomitic drilling
- investigation work
- micro piles
Eleven crawler-mounted hydraulic piling rigs, ranging from 30 to 80 ton, and suitable for:
- auger piles
- cased piles
- percussion piles
- continuous flight auger piles
Four investigation/exploration rigs suitable for:
- drilling of various size percussion holes
- reverse circulation drilling
- DPSH testing